Friday, August 14, 2009

Points to Ponder on Parenting


If your kids are giving you a headache, follow the directions on the aspirin bottle, especially the part that says "keep away from children." ~Susan Savannah

No matter how calmly you try to referee, parenting will eventually produce bizarre behavior, and I'm not talking about the kids. ~Bill Cosby, Fatherhood, 1986

I love to play hide and seek with my kid, but some days my goal is to find a hiding place where he can't find me until after high school. ~Author Unknown

Kids spell love T-I-M-E. ~John Crudele

Children begin by loving their parents; as they grow older they judge them; sometimes they forgive them. ~Oscar Wilde

Simply having children does not make mothers

Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy. ~Robert A. Heinlein

Most of us become parents long before we have stopped being children. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic's Notebook, 1966

If you want children to keep their feet on the ground, put some responsibility on their shoulders. ~Abigail Van Buren

To bring up a child in the way he should go, travel that way yourself once in a while. ~Josh Billings

You don't really understand human nature unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around - and why his parents will always wave back. ~William D. Tammeus

Children are a great comfort in your old age - and they help you reach it faster, too. ~Lionel Kauffman

A father is always making his baby into a little woman. And when she is a woman he turns her back again. Fathers Day Quote by: Enid Bagnold

A man never stands as tall as when he kneels to help his child

To be in your children's memories tomorrow, you have to be in their lives today. Anonymous



I think this is a very cute list. My favorite is "Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy." I have done this with my son. My daughter and I joke that he's allergic to work. He has always had a low frustration tolerance and gives up on anything he finds more difficult than he thinks it should be. I think, that to some degree, it is my fault. He is my first born (age 11 now) and I catered to his every need for too long and hampered his own confidence, and interest, in doing things for himself. He's capable, smart, talented, inquisitive, but, I'm sorry to say, lazy.

How do I fix this? I need advice.

1 comment:

  1. I have done the same with Nicole. I think it is just a natural thing to do with your first born. She is being forced now in high school to more for herself. I am following up at home by making her pay the consequences for not being accountable. She will never be an A type personality, but I think she will eventually figure out that she has to do things for herself and not be so lazy. Mitchell will do the same thing too. Sometimes it is a matter of them maturing. Hang in there.....

    ReplyDelete